Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

Happy 4h of July to everybody! We are all very sad not to be in America on this fun, family oriented holiday, but we did have a nice surprise as we drove home from Chennai last night. At exactly midnight we were driving through the village closest to campus and we saw fireworks going off. (The big professional kind) As we drove through the village there were lights, a concert, and fireworks! We felt like it was a welcome home party/ 4th of July celebration for us. We found out they were celebrating one of the Hindu temples, but we imagined it was for use anyway :D

Being in a 3rd world country on a holiday like this makes me even more grateful for the blessed nation I live in. Despite the many degrading attitudes towards America, I believe it is the greatest nation on earth and a beacon to the world. I know we have many problems but I am grateful for the founding fathers and all of the continuous sacrifices made daily to keep our nation safe and beautiful.

After posting today I am planning on checking CNN because I feel very out of it regarding national or world news, especially the presidential race as new candidates are announcing.

Happy Independence Day! Enjoy the beautiful and blessed country we all love!

add on: tonight at dinner Pam (longterm couple volunteer) made brownies for everyone ( I didn't have any) for the 4th of July celebration, and we all sang America the Beautiful as well as the Star Spangled Banner. It was my high for the day :) When we got in our rooms tonight we played some patriotic tunes including Whitney Houston's Star Spangled Banner and Ray Charles America the Beautiful. I love America!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Independce Day to you too Lanxie. We had a really good meeting at church yesterday and a lot of testimonies were in reference to our great nation. It's true that when you are in other countries, you realize even more what a great nation that we live in. I remember coming back from Israel when I was about your age and how I cried tears of joy when our plane had starting flying over US soil.
    See you in less than a week Lanxie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all those pictures! It looks way cool :) Lucky you seeing one of the 7 wonders! Jealous. Can't believe you're coming home so soon! Crazy. Love you!!

    --Det ( not mom )

    ReplyDelete