Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lessons Learned

How can such a filthy place purge the filth from within oneself?

This question was posed by one of our fellow volunteers this evening as we all discussed what we have learned from India. This is a very daunting task to combine all of the lessons I have learned into one post. I hope I can do justice to the things I’ve learned and experienced. There have been so many amazing moments from something as simple as a smile, a touch, eye contact and body language say everything words can’t.

India has taught me the importance of giving of yourself entirely, knowing full well that as a result you may be hurt in the end. The children and RSO staff welcomed us with open arms from day one of our session. They knew full well we would only be here for 3 weeks but they gave all of themselves regardless. Tonight as we said our goodbyes three of my favorite little girls were crying. I love them so much! Sagayamary, Subasri, and Abisha are the three younger girls that we have sung to on numerous nights and become very close to. I’m even thinking of sponsoring Subasri because she needs one more. (Each child needs 4 sponsors and it is only $30/mo – contact me if you are willing to support a child!)

Another thing I have learned from India is a sense of community and at the same time simplicity. Here people work to live, they do not live to work. When their needs are met and they have some to spare they share with those who need it. Literally if they have eaten one spoonful of rice and you are at their door hungry, they will give the next spoonful without hesitation. I feel like too often in America and other developed nations, we compete with each other more than help each other. Having said that, when we first arrived and didn’t have our luggage we had many strangers at the time but are now friends, offer to help us with anything we might be missing until our bags came. Each time someone would run out of water during construction, or not have enough food there was always at least one person willing to share what little they had. I loved this lesson of giving, but my favorite was tonight as I said bye to Basha. After it was clear to him I was leaving tomorrow he got into his backpack (his only possession) and retrieved two golden rings. He gave me both! It was so cute and he gave me a kiss on the cheek- melted my heart. (I think literally) He is such a sweet boy! The rings are pretty big so I had the idea to put them on a shoelace and make it into a necklace. I plan to give one back to Basha early tomorrow before I leave, along with a picture I colored for him.

The third main thing India has taught me is the value of knowledge and relationships. I believe these are two of the few things we can take with us after this life. I have found that a person is a person and throughout this experience I have grown to love a vast variety of God’s children. I have established great relationships that I will cherish for the rest of my life, and the life to follow. I believe in the sanctity of one soul. I have come to realize that if my prideful self can have so much love , our Father in Heaven must be overflowing continuously with love. I’m very grateful for that knowledge. In the words of Maya Angelou via Oprah Winfrey, “When you know better, you do better.” I am a very visual learner, and though I’ve been told of conditions around the world they did not sink in until I could see with my own eyes the poverty that afflicts so many. Now that I know-I must do.
___
This morning as Venilla Mary was doing the henna on my hand and arm many of the boys came through the room. I eventually had the idea to draw I love India on my arm with a heart as well. Though Venilla speaks great English and Tamil she is unable to read or write. (However she is learning!) Nagaraj told her the letters to write. It was an indescribable peaceful, tender moment for me to watch this 9 year old boy spell the words I love India as his house mother artfully drew them on my arm. Venilla Mary outlined the heart with dots, and I asked if it’d be okay if each boy came and put his own dot on my heart. The boys were very excited because it is usually a girl thing to do henna so they were happy to be involved. It was a special symbolic image to me.
I gave Basha our friendship necklaces and some of the other boys drew me pictures. As I said goodbye and was leaving the hostel I heard, “auntie auntie” I looked up to see my boy Basha waving through his hostel window. What a great image to leave with.

I do not feel like this is the end, nor do I feel like this is the beginning. The souls that have united on this journey have known each other before, and I look forward to the day they meet again.

My theme throughout this experience is that one person can change the world. Becky Douglas was on person and she has helped change the futures of hundreds of children and families afflicted with leprosy. The following link will take you to my favorite song called "Change" by Carrie Underwood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69s8DN3v6fA


*www.risingstaroutreach.org
Like rising star outreach on facebook*

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great post with so many wonderful insights. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad that you were able to have this amazing experience. I'm so proud of you Lanx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super to be able to put so much feeling into words. So hard to do! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

    ReplyDelete