Monday, June 27, 2011

Before I catch up on all of today’s activity I have to write about what just happened. I was sitting on my bed getting my computer stuff ready and I felt like something was in my pants. I said it out loud and my roommates jokingly said, “it’s probably a lizard” well I didn’t feel it anymore so I let it go. Then about 2 minutes later I felt it again but on the other leg. My initial reaction was to smack my leg and when I did I screamed and squealed because I felt something! I threw my pants off onto the floor and had my roommates look while I was jumping and screaming. It turns out it was a little baby lizard---IN THE PANTS I HAD ON!! I’m still wigged out-not exactly sure how I’m going to sleep tonight.

Today I was on the medical unit and we went to a leprosy colony to provide treatment. There are so many colonies RSO takes care of that they can only visit each one about once every two weeks. We each had different duties and I was assigned to washing feet and hands; whichever area had ulcers. It was a very humbling experience washing the feet of those who many call “untouchable”. These people are extremely loving and giving it is remarkable.



(The 3 preceeding pictures are of a grandmother to one of our Rising Star girls Vigilashmi. )


I had a very special experience. Rajim was the leader of this colony and he had some ulcers he needed taken care of on his feet. Well our nurse had to dig into his foot with scissors and tweezers to get some of the decayed tissue out. This is done without numbing or pain medicine and it was very painful and difficult for Rajim. Some of these pictures are intense and you can really see his anguish. Through his suffering I wasn’t sure how to help comfort him. I don’t speak any Tamil and even if I did I don’t know what I’d say. I resulted in putting my arm around him, as he squeezed my hand. He is such an amazing man and I struggle to put that experience into adequate words, but I am grateful to have learned from Rajim today. After he went through the most excruciating part of the procedure he formed his hands into a prayer and looked to heaven praising our Savior. Seriously, he is such an inspirational man. He taught me strength, patience, humility, and most importantly gratitude.
After we finished helping all of the patients we walked through the small colony and one family asked us to come in. We got a lot of pictures with them and then when they were showing us the second of two rooms in their house the man was a little too friendly with each of us that we got out of there quick. Kim thought he might be drunk but I don’t know. That little downfall didn’t outweigh the high I felt with Rajim and the rest of the leprosy affected patients we helped today. (Though the lizard in my pants might have.)


After the first colony Dr. Susan wanted to go search out another leprosy colony to start helping. We found it and the people were so excited. They started praising Heaven with huge smiles on their faces as they realized they were going to receive medical attention, that somebody cared. It was very neat.


We got back around 4 so we missed our alone time by 2 hours and we had play time at 4:30. Brittany and I decided to chill for an extra half hour and went to play time at 5 instead of 4:30. I took my camera today and I feel like I got a lot of good new pictures. I’ll do a picture post next It’s easier just to add them all in one post since I’m not proficient in the blogging world.


I had originally planned to come for 3 weeks like the regular volunteers, but then an opportunity to become a coordinator after this session presented itself. It requires that I stay until the end of August. I’ve thought about it a lot and I don’t think I’d like to do it. I think I’m ready to come home at the 3 week mark.
That’s all for now. :D
p.s. our roommate lizard is still here and making noises-I guess he wasn’t the one in my pants

4 comments:

  1. Lauren, your blog is so fun and inspirational to read! Thank you. I can't wait to see the pictures you post of the kids at play time. It sounds like you have had a lot of time to think about you as a person and what you want to do which is needed so desperately sometimes. I love you girl and keep being safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was so touching. I love reading about your experiences! I can feel the love you have for the people there.
    I am surprised that you think you want to come home at the 3 week mark. It just seems that you are having incredible experiences that you probably won't ever be able to have again. I'm sure you are making it a matter of prayer and that you will make the best decision for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh. a lizard in your pants. that is .....awful!
    the colony looks like a hard place to work, but very needed. Thanks for being there to help. You are out there DOing. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lizard story grossed me out! On a different note though, your experiences sound incredible. I didn't realize leprosy damaged the bone? Good work out there Lank!

    ReplyDelete