Thursday, June 23, 2011

Construction!





Today we went on with the construction coordinator, Kim Lyons, to a leprosy colony. We hauled sand from one central location to many different homes for them to use as mortar to build bathrooms. We transported the sand in what they called buckets but they are really in the shape of saucers. Needless to say it was difficult in 100+ degree weather. It was neat though because a lot of people ran out of water and we came together and shared what little we had. It was a neat experience, I'm not good at sharing details of things like this but it was definitely a neat experience.

While we were working a few women from the colony went and spent what little money they had to buy us volunteers cold juice! It was beyond sweet how kind, thankful, and generous they are. It is really humbling to think how much we have and at the same time how stingy we are with all of our excess. I am learning from the people of India day by day.

For play time today we did talent classes. There are two other people here, Drew and Carlee, who play soccer. We did a few relay races with the kids in our group and played a game called "head,catch". They thought it was all boring and all they wanted to do was play a real game of soccer. It was fun to play with the kids and it rained a little bit too so that was a pleasant surprise.

Today was the first time I felt clean, for a split second, while I was here. When we got back from construction I took a nice shower. The power wasn't working so I didn't get to sit in the air conditioning to dry, but we had moderate weather outside so I sat and watched some volunteers play soccer. I would have played if it weren't for two things: a) I ran this morning and also did lunges, squats, and yoga. b) I had just showered before they decided to play. It was fun to watch though, but I was reminded again of how much I don't miss soccer. I wonder when I'll miss it?

I'm really not into Indian food but I have gotten my appetite back. I got to hang out with Kim for a little bit today. We talked girl talk and over a nice bowl of cereal :)

I got to watch the dancer's perform their number again today. I recorded it for my pleasure as well as yours!

Tonight during dinner when we went through our highs and lows, Becky Douglas the founder of RSO, mentioned that she received an email her 3 year old granddaughter might not make it for her to get home. Two months ago she was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and she was given 9 months to live. Becky is cutting her trip short and leaving tomorrow. The Marriott kids (3 married couples) are also leaving tomorrow, as well as our principal April. It will probably feel different tomorrow but it will still be good.

After dinner at family time I had fun with my girls helping them with homework and singing songs. The girls are so cute. One girl named Eshwari (ish-wad-ee) had her head on my lap and said, "My head has lots of lice" haha - yikes. Sagaia Mary gave me a bracelet she made out of yarn in talent class and also made me a ring. I'm planning to take a picture tomorrow night of it with her bracelet as well. They are our friendship bracelets :)

As I was singing to the little girls, I looked at Abashi and she was staring off into space but her cute little feet were wiggling. I don't know if this will translate to anyone else but this is for my recollection of this sweet moment.

*The other day Becky was telling us that Amy Antonelli said something along the lines that leprosy is the biggest blessing these kids will ever have in their lives. It may sound weird, but this school is the best in the area. The kids are well fed, have love and compassion, and a good education. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to take in all of the kids in the surrounding villages. Who knows what happens to the kids who can't be at school could be that they are, beaten, malnourished, uneducated, or begging for their families survival. Leprosy is truly a blessing in the children of RSO's lives, despite all of it's challenges the disease of leprosy has given these children many opportunities they otherwise would not have. May we take the time to notice the blessings in our lives that may be in disguise.



We are having game night now with the volunteers so I'll talk to you later!




3 comments:

  1. lanx! i love you! thank you for sharing your experiences on this blog i look forward to reading it! also yay for your bags getting there. any way i was reading a conference talk today and i cried a little cause it reminded me of you. it is "Finding Joy through Loving Service" by Elder M. Russell Ballard "“By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. …

    “… And by very small means the Lord … bringeth about the salvation of many souls” (Alma 37:6–7).

    Brothers and sisters, the gospel of Jesus Christ is simple, no matter how much we try to make it complicated. We should strive to keep our lives similarly simple, unencumbered by extraneous influences, focused on those things that matter most.

    What are the precious, simple things of the gospel that bring clarity and purpose to our lives? What are the flecks of gospel gold whose patient accumulation over the course of our lifetime will reward us with the ultimate treasure—the precious gift of eternal life?

    I believe there is one simple but profound—even sublime—principle that encompasses the entirety of the gospel of Jesus Christ. If we wholeheartedly embrace this principle and make it the focus of our lives, it will purify and sanctify us so we can live once again in the presence of God.

    The Savior spoke of this principle when He answered the Pharisee who asked, “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

    “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

    “This is the first and great commandment. and the second is like unto it thou shalt love thy neighbour as theyself" ...
    When this pure love of Christ—or charity—envelops us, we think, feel, and act more like Heavenly Father and Jesus would think, feel, and act. Our motivation and heartfelt desire are like unto that of the Savior. He shared this desire with His Apostles on the eve of His Crucifixion. He said:

    “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you. …

    “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another” (John 13:34–35).

    The love the Savior described is an active love. It is not manifested through large and heroic deeds but rather through simple acts of kindness and service.

    Great things are wrought through simple and small things. Our small and simple acts of kindness and service will accumulate into a life filled with love for Heavenly Father, devotion to the work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and a sense of peace and joy each time we reach out to one another.

    sorry this is the longest comment in the history of comments! love you! love Cara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post...it made me cry. What an amazing experience you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is the small and simple things!!
    I am right with you for the soccer thing. I am kind of waiting for it to come but it hasn't. plus I am too scared to see what my touch would be like. I haven't played in what 7 months? This is so awesome you are doing this Lanx! I am so happy for your!

    ReplyDelete