Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chill Day



Today was a pretty chill day. We were on the special projects group which basically means you do whatever random projects the organization needs. Today that included making a shed for Lola the sheep and also painting the elephant in front of the elephant house. Because we were on campus we got to eat lunch with the kids. It’s interesting because they eat on the floor with their hands and they eat a special way with their hands. I made a peanut butter and banana sandwich and brought it with me. The children thought it was weird I eat with both of my hands. I tried explaining I don’t use my left hand for the bathroom like they do but they looked confused. They also were questioning why I wasn’t eating their food like the rest of the volunteers.

I haven’t ever really liked Indian food and every meal is spicy. The spicy isn’t good for my stomach so I usually have a valid excuse not to eat. It’s crazy how much you crave water though and even though we have three refrigerators (smaller size than we are used to) they don’t get our drinks very cold. I go through about 40-60oz of water a day but I crave 120 oz. I crave a bin full of sonic ice, but any ice would do!

Today during play time I went to watch the dance class practice. I’m happy I did because they rehearsed their dance to “Somebody’s out there” by David Archuletta. They love him because he has been here a few times and sang for them/served them. Anyway the dance is choreographed to portray the children suffering and then angles come in and pick them up. (angels are the volunteers) There is a segment in the song where each child was supposed to go home and observe their parents who are leprosy afflicted and pick a daily movement that they could then choreograph into the dance. This part made me cry, to see what the kids see through their own eyes. Some kids were begging, some were walking with pains and dragging a leg or an arm. I came to realize these kids seem so normal and amazing, and every once in a while you are taken back to their reality of where they come from. These kids are so amazing and it makes me more and more grateful everyday for the things and people I have been blessed with.


Each evening after dinner we go to our “families” and help them with homework or play with them when they are done. Today I wore soccer shorts for painting/construction and stayed in them all day. This was a mistake because my girls kept asking me why my shorts didn’t go past my knee. To be clear this particular pair went to my knee but not over it. Anyway I hope my luggage gets here tonight so I can stop wearing these grubby clothes and get clean! (one other girl besides Brittany and I lost her luggage and her name is Ivy. She still doesn’t have hers, and her birthday is tomorrow! We are both celebrating our birthdays in India!)


I think this is the wrap up of the day. I really need to shower it’s been a few days. Bucket showers here I come :)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there Lanx! I love Indian food and everything sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete