Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Eye Doctor with Aravind :)

(I'm very pasty compared to these kids, get used to it)


Today we woke up kind of early because our group, Group 1 was on medical. We took 10 children to an eye doctor in Chennai that is doing this work for free! It was over a 3 hour ride due to traffic but once we got there they started examining these kids right away. I got to be paired up with Aravind. He is the sweetest little boy in the whole world.

Aravind has quite a story. Two years ago he came to Rising Star with his sister after their father lit their mother on fire and killed her. Aravind (2 at the time) witnessed this tragedy. Apparently this is a common enough occurrence that in India they call them “house fires” to cover up the truth. At the same time these father’s that do this love their children and would never hurt them, but men are viewed as superior to women so abuse is very common. It is tragic.
I got to be paired with Aravind all day long and I loved it. He was constantly holding my hand or sitting on my lap and I loved every minute of it.


After all the children were done being examined the two doctors took us up to an auditorium and expressed their desire to help those in need and it was really touching. The main doctor said if he wasn’t compassionate or able to use empathy then he would not be capable of being a physician. I thought that was very neat of him because he donates so much time and many resources to help those who can’t help themselves. Apparently India has the 2nd highest population of blind people, and the largest population of blind children. The other doctor said something very profound. “The problems are enormous, but the possibilities are enormous.” I thought that was great. Another interesting thing about these two men are that they are both Christian. That is not very common in this country and especially among doctors.


(I know I look pasty but get used to it )After the auditorium the doctors fed all the children while the volunteers in my group ate our sack lunches in the van. I have not had much of an appetite at all due to heat, malaria pills, and the time adjustment.


We weren’t able to pick up our luggage so hopefully we will be able to tomorrow. It has been a long time and we are ready to get them back! It’s been 5 days that we’ve been in the same clothes-that is 4 days too long! Luckily we where the native clothes, chudidars, everyday so the only thing we are reusing is under clothes-yuck!


We didn’t get back from Chennai until about 5:40 so we missed play time and chilled for a few minutes before dinner. I didn’t eat dinner because I’m not feeling to hot but later I had a granola bar to make up for it hopefully.


I went to family time after dinner and enjoyed singing my girls to sleep and telling stories. I also enjoyed having my hair played with by some of the older girls.
No luggage today but hopefully tomorrow!


1. The girls say their prayers every night and they love Jesus.
2. There is a LDS church being built in Chennai- the first church building to be built new.

3. I’m exhausted
4. There are so many details to be caught up on but I don’t have the time or energy. Hopefully I will tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Jinkin! Keep it up and soak it all in. You'll miss it for the rest of your life when you leave. Hope you are feelin better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still no luggage?! Everything else sounds really amazing...what an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete