Monday, June 27, 2011

Quick Catch Up

(Allyssa, Britt, and me at church in Chennai-we think Allyssa is a twin of Michelle Peshev)


It's amazing how much happens in one day here. I haven't blogged since Friday night and I feel like there is so much to catch up on.

Saturday we woke up early and left Rising Star around 7:00. We drove for about 1.5 hours to a tourist town called Mamallapuram. The second we got off our little RSO bus we were swarmed by people trying to sell us stuff. They followed us around and gave us a tour of the ancient ruins. I said no probably 30 times to these men selling little trinkets and things but to no avail. They eventually suckered me in. They would say things like "small business" "two kids" I know they could be lying but who am I to judge. I didn't spend a lot of money with them but I bought a few souvenirs. (No one else in my group got sucked in)

We spent about 3 hours in Mamallapurram shopping and looking around. We had one lady (in her teens) follow us around for a few blocks, holding out her hand saying "baby, baby" because she was carrying her baby with her. We refused to give her money. I know it sounds harsh but this is a huge problem in India where they make their living off of begging. I'd rather buy something I'll never use and support someone who is working rather than just give money away freely. I bought way more than I needed to throughout those three hours, but I did get some rocking deals as the day wore on.

I learned to let everyone in my group buy from certain vendors first and then since so many had bought from them they'd give me a better deal. On top of this Brittany is about the best barterer I have ever seen. I definitely learned some good tricks from her and even walked away from one place with a free purse! (I'm not giving details about the purchases because a lot are for family gifts)

We left Mamallapurram around 12 and headed over to a resort called "Ideal Beach". Let me tell you it was definitely ideal. We got to spend three hours chillin on the beach, playing in the ocean, and lounging by the pool. It was definitely a well deserved, nice break. On the way home we stopped at a local restaurant and got Parota. It is a bread sort of tortilla thing that is delicious. One of the few things I've liked here. The restaurant was swarming with flies and cooks who you can tell don't wash their hands after they go behind the building to take care of business, but that's India.

When we got back to RSO campus we had a little bit of time before we had movie night with the kids. We watched TRON from a laptop projected onto the cafeteria wall. I started out with about 4 little boys all over me but as everyone began to settle Karthik stayed on my lap the whole movie while Christaraj sat next to me. It was fun to see the kids figure out the movie and saying things like "hero", "bad guy", and "super movie". They use the word super more than any other word. The video took a lot longer than usual to finish because power outages are the norm here. Probably a minimum of 10 times a day. By the end of the movie I was very exhausted and as I was laying my head back on the cement cafeteria floor, a little boy behind me put my head on his lap and said, "auntie sleep". It was so cute. Have I mentioned I love these kids?

Sunday we drove 3 hours into Chennai to go to church. It was a good experience to go. A long term volunteer helped Brittany and I with our Sari's, but when we got to church two sister's helped us redo them. Roslyn and Vannila Mary. Vannila Mary is a house mother here at RSO and she is Hindu, but she has come to church the past 3 weeks and meets with the missionaries each time during Sunday school. I slept through most of the sacrament talks, but while we sang "Jesus Once of Humble Birth" I stopped singing for a whole verse and just listened. I listened to the voices who have been born in very humble circumstances, who travel hours by bus to get to church, who love the Savior with all their heart, and it was a very special experience for me.

During Sunday School I sat in on part of primary class and then talked the rest of the time with Pam. She and her husband Jim are here for a year and a half. They are retired and contemplated serving a mission. After talking to Becky Douglas, their neighbor and founder of RSO, they decided this could be their mission. It was really neat getting to know Pam and her experiences. I did fully attend relief society and it was awesome. It went a half hour long (Indians don't seem to pay too much attention to time) but it was a neat unifying experience realizing again the love Heavenly Father has for each of us, no matter where or what circumstances we are born in. We are all His children and He loves us dearly.

The drive home from church was not fun. Another 3 hours on bumpy, crazy roads, but we got back safely around 3 or 4. We had the rest of the day to chill and hang out. We tried projecting Tangled in the Mango Room (our club house room) for a long time but with power outages, a slow computer, a scratched dvd, and problem with the speakers, it just wasn't meant to be.

I didn't eat their dinner but I was full from lots of snacks when I got home from church. After dinner I sat and talked to Kim and Derek for awhile on the roof. It was really neat just to talk about life and the similar decisions we each need to make. I was definitely comforted by talking with them. Afterwards I played a few games with some volunteers in the Mango room then went to bed. I'll catch up about today later tonight- no it's time to go play with the kids :D

No comments:

Post a Comment